Box86 lets you run x86 Linux programs (such as games) on non-x86 Linux systems, like ARM (the host system needs to be 32bit little-endian).
Because box86 uses the native versions of some “system” libraries, like
OpenGL, it’s easy to integrate and use with most applications, and performance can be surprisingly high in some cases.
Many games already work without much tweaking, for example: WorldOfGoo, Airline Tycoon Deluxe, and FTL. Many of the GameMaker Linux games also run fine. (There’s a long list, among them are Undertale, A Risk of Rain, or Cook Serve Delicious.)
Box64 is the 64bits version of Box86. It is used to run x86_64 binaries on ARM64 (i.e. aarch64) Linux.
To see which games were confirmed to run (or not) on box86 and box64, see also this page (updated live from the list of issues in a dedicated GitHub repo).
- New version of Box86 v0.3.2 and Box64 v0.2.4New releases of both box86 and box64 (with a silent re-release of box86 to include a critical fix for steam). While Box86 have seen little change, and was mostly fixes and some refactor to help load ELF file better, Box64 had major code contribution for this release. Box64 Dynarec now support RISC-V! Thanks to github … Read more
- Box64 and RISC-VBox64 and RISC-V, the challenges of wrtting the Dynarec, and benchmarks
- Performances 2022This article was initially publised for the FOSDEM 2022 virtual event. The host is gone and I’m (quickly) republishing it here. Box86 performances Like for last year, I will present a series of benchmark to try show the efficiency (or not) of box dynarec. This year, I will benchmark both box86 and box64, to show … Read more
- New version Box86 v0.3.0 and Box64 v0.2.2New version tagged for Box86 & Box64 New in those releases are a new hack for program that redirect Malloc function on box64. This allows for libcef and other chrome derivative to work now. That allows for the Full Steam client to work (including the BigPicture mode). The Heroic Launcher also works. You can connect … Read more
- Box64 on Asahi with experimental GPU driverLet’s try some games using Box64 on the M1, now that there is a first experimental version of the GPU driver. This driver provides OpenGL 2.1 profile, so a few games should already be working. After an update of the Asahi system, and the installation of the “edge” kernel and mesa driver, I also updated … Read more